Ankle Sprain – Sprained Ankle
An accidental twist, an unexpected turn or a sudden misstep can cause an ankle to give way. What happens is the ligament holding bone to ankle stretches beyond its limit, tearing or rupturing. Keep reading to learn more.
Causes & Triggers
- Stretched or torn ligaments
- Twisting, turning, rolling the foot
- Uneven surfaces
Signs & Symptoms
- Discoloration (black-and-blue)
Tips & Treatment
- Ankle sprains are very common.
- Severity of ankle sprains are graded as follows:
- Mild—Grade I: Light damage to ligament fibers; improves with prescribed stretching
- Moderate—Grade II: Partially torn ligament; ankle feels “loose”; may require splinting or casting
- Severe—Grade III: Fully torn ligament; ankle feels highly unstable; often requires surgical repair