Dr. Peter H. Edwards, Jr. is a board certified orthopedic surgeon with a fellowship-trained specialty in Sports Medicine. His practice has an emphasis on arthroscopic surgery of the knee and sports injuries of the lower extremity.
A Columbus native, Dr. Edwards received numerous academic honors while attending medical school at the Ohio State University. He then completed fellowship training in sports medicine, arthroscopic knee surgery, as well as foot and ankle surgery.
Dr. Edwards has more than 20 years of experience in treating elite athletes such as: Olympic wrestlers,NFL players, NASCAR team members, the U.S. Men’s and Women’s National Soccer Teams, and countless collegiate athletes. He served as team physician for the Columbus Crew since their inception in 1996 until stepping into his present role as a member of the new Columbus Crew ownership group. Through these experiences he has gained valuable knowledge that benefits his patients who are both athletes and non-athletes. He strives to return his patients safely to competition at the highest level while maximizing their quality of life after sport.
He has been published in numerous scientific publications and remains active in research to contribute to advancing treatment options in orthopedic surgery. His practice has an emphasis on arthroscopic surgery of the knee, soccer sports medicine, and sports injuries of the lower extremity.
Dr. Edwards offers specialized expertise in areas of:
- Knee Arthroscopy
- ACL Reconstruction
- Cartilage Transplants
- Soccer Injury
- Lower Extremity Sports Medicine
Click here to watch Dr. Edwards’ presentation at Orthopedic ONE’s 2016 Arthritis CME.
What patients are saying about Dr. Edwards:
Commonly Treated Conditions
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injury
- Cartilage Injuries (Meniscus)
- Cartilage Restoration
- Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Injury
- Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Injury
- Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runner’s Knee)
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament Injury (PCL) Injury
Commonly Performed Procedures
Undergraduate:The Ohio State University, Bachelor of Psychology
Medical School:The Ohio State University College of Medicine
Orthopedic Residency :Residency in Orthopedic Surgery, West Virginia University Medical School
Fellowship:Orthopedic Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy, University of Oklahoma
Fellowship:Foot and Ankle Surgery, Union Memorial Hospital
Board Certification:American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Titles, Honors & Awards
TitlesDirector, Sports Medicine Resident Rotation at Riverside Methodist Hospital
- Former professional sports physician (NFL, NASCAR, National Soccer Team)
- Ohio State Medical Association (OSMA)
- American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS)
- American Orthopedic Society of Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- Member, National Orthopedic Advisory Board - Pfizer
- Member, New Columbus Crew Ownership Group
Research & Teaching
ResearchOrthopedic ONE's Arthritis CME
- Presenter and writer at top associations including AOSSM, AAOS, and The American Journal of Knee Surgery