Dr. Backes is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon, specializing in sports medicine and knee and shoulder surgery. Dr. Backes completed his fellowship training in orthopedic sports medicine and shoulder reconstruction at the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic of the Carolinas. His specialties include: arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder and knee including rotator cuff repair, ACL reconstruction, and joint preservation procedures, as well as anatomic and reverse total shoulder replacement.
A central Ohio native, Dr. Backes attended Upper Arlington High School. He completed undergraduate training and medical school at Northwestern University. He returned home to Ohio to complete his orthopedic residency at Mount Carmel Medical Center where he earned several honors, including the prestigious American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons’ Clinical Award.
During his time at the world-renowned Steadman-Hawkins Clinic he cared for amateur, collegiate and professional athletes including the Colorado Rockies Major League Baseball team.
To view Dr. Backes’ presentation from the 2019 Orthopedic ONE Sports Medicine Symposium, click here.
To view Dr. Backes’ Shoulder Injection video for the OAFP Conference, click here.
Commonly Treated Conditions
- Cartilage Injuries (Meniscus)
- Labral Tear of the Shoulder
- Patellar Tendonitis (Jumper’s Knee)
- Shoulder Arthritis
- Golfer’s Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
- Frozen Shoulder (Adhesive Capsulitis)
Commonly Performed Procedures
Medical School:Northwestern University
Orthopedic Residency:Mount Carmel Health System
Fellowship Training:Sports Medicine, Steadman-Hawkins Clinic of the Carolinas
Titles, Honors & Awards
TitleFormer Team Physician, the MLB's Colorado Rockies
AwardsMount Carmel Guardian Angel Award 2018
- 40 under 40 Honoree 2015
- American Association of the Hip and Knee Surgeon's Clinical Award 2012
- Mid-American Orthopedic Association (MAOA)
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Association of the Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS)
- Ohio State Medical Association (OSMA)
Research & Teaching
Clinical EducatorOhio Academy Family Physicians
ResearchActively peer reviews and presents at top associations including MAOA, AAOS, and AAHKS
- Orthopedic ONE's Sport Medicine Symposium