Dr. Joseph Mileti is a board certified orthopedic surgeon with fellowship training in reconstruction and replacement of the shoulder and elbow at the world renowned Mayo Clinic. He is a top shoulder specialist in central Ohio, and has received numerous honors during his academic training and as a practicing orthopedic surgeon.
Passionate about teaching, Dr. Mileti has served as the Director of the Orthopaedic Residency Programs at Riverside Methodist Hospital and The Ohio State University and has been named Teacher of the Year three times. He was an Assistant Clinical Professor with The Ohio State University’s Department of Orthopaedics for ten years. Dr. Mileti also works with The Ohio Industrial Commission, offering continuing education on industrial and workforce injuries of the shoulder.
Dr. Mileti completed his undergraduate degree at The University of Notre Dame. He attended medical school at The Ohio State University, where he also completed his orthopedic residency training and served as Administrative Chief Resident for the Orthopaedics Department. He then went on to complete advanced fellowship training in shoulder and elbow surgery at The Mayo Clinic.
Since 2015, Dr. Mileti has been named to the peer selected, Best Doctors in America® list, featured in Columbus Business First.
Dr. Mileti is married with three children and resides in Powell. He is an advocate for those with special needs. He is active in the Miracle League Of Central Ohio, and sits on the Board for the Miracle League of New Albany. The Mileti family have been a top fundraising team for the Autism Speaks Columbus Walk for many years.
Dr. Mileti has specialized expertise in the following areas:
- Shoulder Replacement Surgery
- Rotator Cuff Surgery
- Athletic Shoulder & Elbow Injuries
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Elbow Arthroscopy
- Elbow Reconstruction
- Shoulder Fractures
- Sports Medicine
Click HERE to view Dr. Mileti’s presentation at the BWC Medical & Health Symposium. His session is titled: 4801 Live Surgery.
Commonly Treated Conditions
- Elbow Arthritis
- Throwing Injuries
- Chronic Shoulder Instability
- Frozen Shoulder (Adhesive Capsulitis)
- Labral Tear of the Shoulder
- Rotator Cuff Injuries
- Shoulder Arthritis
- Superior Labrum Anterior to Posterior (SLAP) Lesion Tear
Commonly Performed Procedures
Undergraduate:The University of Notre Dame
Medical School:The Ohio State University College of Medicine
Orthopedic Residency:Orthopedic Surgery, Ohio State University Medical Center
Fellowship:Upper Extremity Reconstruction - Shoulder and Elbow, The Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
Titles, Honors & Awards
TitlesFormer Director of the Orthopedic Residency Programs, Riverside Methodist Hospital
- Former Assistant Clinical Professor, The Ohio State University's Department of Orthopedics
AwardsOSU's Teacher of the Year 2017-2018
- Best Doctors 2015-2020
- Riverside Methodist Hospital Orthopedic Teacher of the Year - 3 time award winner
- Board Member, Miracle League of New Albany
- Ohio State Medical Association (OSMA)
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Ohio Orthopedic Society (OOS)
- Columbus Orthopedic Society (COS)
Research & Teaching
Clinical EducatorRiverside Family Practice, Ohio University DO School, Mount Carmel College of Nursing
ResearchOhioHealth Capitol City Sports Medicine Symposium
- BWC Medical & Health Symposium
- Published writer and presenter in the medical community including the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery and AAOS