Tips to Stay Sane While Social Distancing and Self Quarantining
With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the world is a different place than it was just a few weeks ago. For many, one of the most jarring changes is the switch from being constantly on the go to practicing social distancing and honoring the stay at home mandate set forth by the government. Here in Ohio, that means restricting time out of the home to only essential business and errands.
This sudden halt to our daily lives and increased time spent inside can have a significant impact on the mind, body and spirit. We are feeling the void of things we often take for granted, such as regular exposure to the sun, which impacts bone and muscle health, mood regulation and sleep quality. This combined with a lack of human interaction, the boredom of being cooped up and the anxiety of dealing with other various impacts of this pandemic, can create a frightening cocktail of emotions.
Here are a few suggestions for using your time in a way that can benefit you and those close to you (well, preferably 6 feet away)!
Feel Good Activities to Keep You Sane and Spread Some Happiness:
- Go outside! Fresh air and sunlight can do great things for your physical and mental well-being. Alternatively, open a window to let some fresh air into your space.
- Take a walk/jog with your family members or pets.
- Call or video chat family and friends.
- Read a book you’ve been meaning to pick up!
- Sing and dance! Movement and exercise can relieve stress and improve mood.
- Dive deep into new hobbies or pick up old ones again!
- Color or paint a picture! Bring back the nostalgia of arts and crafts, while reducing stress. A great two for one activity!
- Make sure you are getting enough rest to allow yourself the daily reset you need to get through this.
Finally, take a break! It’s hard to find an aspect of life that isn’t being occupied by this pandemic. It can feel overwhelming. That is why it is so important to take a pause from reading the articles, the social media posts, the news bulletins, the theories, and take some time to unwind for a moment and breath!