Dr. McShane is board certified and fellowship trained in the area of total joint replacement surgery. He is world renowned for his expertise and the highest standard of care in total hip and knee replacement.
Dr. McShane has received numerous professional awards and has authored many research articles to advance the science of total joint replacements. He is ranked among the top orthopedic surgeons in the country, being voted to the prestigious America’s Top Doctors® and Best Doctors® lists by his peers. Dr. McShane was also voted to WBNS 10tv “Docs Rate Docs”. In 2015 Dr. McShane was honored by the Arthritis Foundation with the “Pioneer in Medicine” award, for his leadership in the prevention, control, and cure of arthritis and related diseases.
He is a member of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS), and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) where he holds a FAAOS designation, distinguishing orthopaedic surgeons from other healthcare specialists as the leaders of the musculoskeletal health team with the level of skills, training, experience, and professionalism consistent with the high standards established by the AAOS.
Dr. McShane was one of the first surgeons in central Ohio to perform outpatient or same-day total joint replacement. Click here to see if you are a candidate for outpatient total hip replacement or outpatient total knee replacement surgery. Dr. McShane uses the latest in total knee arthroplasty technology and is certified in using Patient Specific Instrumentation as well as ROSA Robotic knee system.
Dr. McShane can frequently be found lecturing to his peers and also to the community. With a heart for giving, he participated in Operation Walk, an international effort to provide joint replacement to third world countries in 2010, and more recently pioneered Operation Walk USA at OhioHealth. He finds his greatest joy spending time with his family and grandchildren, and travel with his wife.
Questions about stem cells, PRP and other Orthobiologics for treatment of OA? Click here to read what the AAHKS has published on the topic of PRP for the Management of Osteoarthritis of the Hip and Knee.
Waiting for or recovering from joint replacement surgery during the time of COVID-19? Click here to review the AAHKS’s recommendations for joint care at home.
Honors and Awards:
- Ranked among top orthopedic surgeons in The Columbus Dispatch and WBNS-10TV “Docs Rate Docs”
- Best Doctors in America 2009 – 2019
- Norman O. Rothermich Pioneer In Medicine Award – 2015
- Best Orthopedic Doctor in Central Ohio” 2008 – Columbus Monthly
- Recipient of Mallory-Coleman Award for “Anterior vs. Posterior Femoral Windows: BioMechanical Torsional Comparison of Human Cadaveric Femora”
- First Place, Ohio Orthopaedic Society, “Anterior vs. Posterior Femoral Windows: BioMechanical Torsional Comparison of Human Cadaveric Femora”
- Recipient of the Mallory-Coleman Award for outstanding paper on “Total Ankle Arthroplasties”
Research and Publications:
- Associations Between Preoperative Physical Therapy and Post-Acute Care Utilization Patterns and Cost in Total Joint Replacement, Richard Snow, DO, MPH; Jaymes Granata, MD, MBA; Anirudh V.S. Ruhil, PhD; Karen Vogel, BS; Michael McShane, MD; Ray Wasielewski, MD J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2014 Oct 01;96(19):e165. http://dx.doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.M.01285http://dx.doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.M.01285
- Comparison of custom to standard TKA instrumentation with computed tomography.
- Ng VY, Arnott L, Li J, Hopkins R, Lewis J, Sutphen S, Nicholson L, Reader D, McShane MA.
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013 Aug 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- 1st Prize Poster Presentation, Heritage Research Conference 2011, OhioHealth.
- Ng VY, Arnott L, McShane M. Repair of intraoperative and acute postoperative patellar tendon injury associated with total knee arthroplasty. OhioHealth Research Day, June 2011.
- Ng VY, Arnott L, McShane M. Perspectives in managing an implant recall: revision of 90 Durom Metasul• acetabular components. J Bone Joint Surg Am 93(17): e1001-5.
- Ng VY, McShane MA. Letter to the Editor for Are acetabular component alignment guides for total hip arthroplasty accurate? Accepted to J Arthroplasty.
- Ng VY, Arnott L, McShane M. Repair of intraoperative and acute postoperative patellar tendon injury associated with total knee arthroplasty. Tech Knee Surg 2011; 10(3):154-8
- Ng VY, Arnott L, McShane M. Periprosthetic femoral condyle fracture after total knee arthroplasty and saline-coupled bipolar sealing technology. Orthopedics 2011; 34(1)
- Ng VY, McShane MA. Understanding acetabular cup orientation: the importance of convention and defining the safe zone. Accepted to Hip International
- Ng VY, Arnott L, McShane MA. Response to Drs Scuderi and Tria, in Letters to the Editor. Periprosthetic femoral condyle fracture after total knee arthroplasty and saline-coupled bipolar sealing technology. Orthopedics 2011; 34(8):572
- Ng VY, McShane MA. Patient-specific knee instrumentation. eMedicine. Available at http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1995729-overview Updated Aug 5, 2011
- Ng VY, McShane MA. Surgical technique for Patient-Specific Instrumentation. Improving Accuracy in Knee Arthroplasty Editor: Emmanuel Thienpont. Submitted to editor.
- Ng VY, Arnott L, Reader D, McShane M. Clinical outcomes and computed tomography assessment of total knee arthroplasty postoperative accuracy for Zimmer® Patient Specific Instrumentation compared to conventional instrumentation. Industry funded for $100,000 and approved by IRB. In progress.
- Ng VY, McShane MA. Repair of intra-operative and acute postoperative patellar tendon injury associated with total knee arthroplasty. 2011. http://www.vumedi.com/node/150145
- Ng VY, Lustenberger D, Arnott L, McShane MA, Unverferth LJ, Wolfe JS. Radiographic coronal alignment of TKA: a comparison study of custom vs conventional instrumentation. IRB exemption granted. In progress.
- 2013 AOA Program2013 AOA Program
Commonly Treated Conditions
Commonly Performed Procedures
Undergraduate:The Ohio State University
Medical School:Northeast Ohio Medical University
Orthopedic Residency:Orthopedic Surgery, Mount Carmel Medical Center and Nationwide Children’s Hospital
Fellowship:Adult Joint Reconstruction, Depaul Medical Center
Board Certification:American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Titles, Honors & Awards
AwardsBest Doctors 2015-2020
- Arthritis Foundation's Norman O. Rothermich Pioneer in the Medicine Award 2015
- Mallory-Coleman Award for “Anterior vs. Posterior Femoral Windows: BioMechanical Torsional Comparison of Human Cadaveric Femora” 1992
- First Place, Ohio Orthopaedic Society, “Anterior vs. Posterior Femoral Windows: BioMechanical Torsional Comparison of Human Cadaveric Femora” 1992
- Mallory-Coleman Award for outstanding paper on “Total Ankle Arthroplasties” 1992
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS)
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Ohio State Medical Association (OSMA)
Research & Teaching
ResearchPublished writer and presenter in the medical community including the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery and Ohio Orthopedic Society
- Operation Walk International (2010) and Pioneered Operation Walk USA at OhioHealth
Ronald Hopkins, PA-C
"I love talking to patients, helping them understand the need for surgery and putting their fears at ease."
Education / Training
- The University of Kentucky, Masters in Physician Assistant Studies
Ron works with Dr. Michael McShane as a physician assistant (PA). A PA is a medical professional who is nationally certified and state-licensed to practice medicine with the supervision of a physician. Ron boasts 16 years of orthopedic surgical assisting experience with total joint replacements. In addition to assisting Dr. McShane with surgical procedures, he works in the office to examine, diagnose, and treat patients. He provides patient education, counseling, administers injections and makes hospital rounds on patients that are recovering from total hip/knee replacement.
He holds a degree from The University of Kentucky in Physician Assistant Studies and graduated Magna Cum Laude. Ron currently is a Major in The Ohio Army National Guard and has been awarded The Bronze Star, Operation Iraqi Freedom. Ron has also volunteered his services for medical missions abroad, as well as Operation Walk USA.