Dr. McShane is board certified and fellowship trained in the area of total joint replacement surgery. He is world renowned for his expertise and the highest standard of care in total hip and knee replacement.
Dr. McShane has received numerous professional awards and has authored many research articles to advance the science of total joint replacements. He has been ranked among the top orthopedic surgeons in the country and was voted to WBNS 10tv “Docs Rate Docs", and named to the prestigious Best Doctors® list by his peers. In 2015 Dr. McShane was honored by the Arthritis Foundation with the “Pioneer in Medicine” award, for his leadership in the prevention, control, and cure of arthritis and related diseases.
Dr. McShane was one of the first surgeons in central Ohio to perform outpatient or same-day total joint replacement. Click here to see if you are a candidate for outpatient total hip replacement or outpatient total knee replacement surgery.
Dr. McShane can frequently be found lecturing to his peers and also to the community. With a heart for giving, he participated in Operation Walk, an international effort to provide total joint replacement to third world countries in 2010, and more recently pioneered Operation Walk USA at OhioHealth. He finds his greatest joy spending time with his family and grandchildren, and travel with his wife.
Surgical procedures include
Dr. McShane's Patient Education and Videos:
Zimmer personalized knee system
Total Knee Arthroplasty - Utilizing Persona Patient Specific Instrumentation: Drive Efficiency with Zimmer® Patient Specific Instruments
Honors and Awards:
- Ranked among top orthopedic surgeons in The Columbus Dispatch and WBNS-10TV “Docs Rate Docs" 2004 survey
- Best Doctors in America 2009 – 2017
- Norman O. Rothermich Pioneer In Medicine Award - 2015
- Best Orthopedic Doctor in Central Ohio" 2008 – Columbus Monthly
- Recipient of Mallory-Coleman Award for “Anterior vs. Posterior Femoral Windows: BioMechanical Torsional Comparison of Human Cadaveric Femora"
- First Place, Ohio Orthopaedic Society, “Anterior vs. Posterior Femoral Windows: BioMechanical Torsional Comparison of Human Cadaveric Femora"
- Recipient of the Mallory-Coleman Award for outstanding paper on “Total Ankle Arthroplasties"
Research and Publications:
- Associations Between Preoperative Physical Therapy and Post-Acute Care Utilization Patterns and Cost in Total Joint Replacement , Richard Snow, DO, MPH; Jaymes Granata, MD, MBA; Anirudh V.S. Ruhil, PhD; Karen Vogel, BS; Michael McShane, MD; Ray Wasielewski, MD J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2014 Oct 01;96(19):e165. http://dx.doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.M.01285
- Comparison of custom to standard TKA instrumentation with computed tomography.
- Ng VY, Arnott L, Li J, Hopkins R, Lewis J, Sutphen S, Nicholson L, Reader D, McShane MA.
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013 Aug 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- 1st Prize Poster Presentation, Heritage Research Conference 2011, OhioHealth.
- Ng VY, Arnott L, McShane M. Repair of intraoperative and acute postoperative patellar tendon injury associated with total knee arthroplasty. OhioHealth Research Day, June 2011.
- Ng VY, Arnott L, McShane M. Perspectives in managing an implant recall: revision of 90 Durom Metasul• acetabular components. J Bone Joint Surg Am 93(17): e1001-5.
- Ng VY, McShane MA. Letter to the Editor for Are acetabular component alignment guides for total hip arthroplasty accurate? Accepted to J Arthroplasty.
- Ng VY, Arnott L, McShane M. Repair of intraoperative and acute postoperative patellar tendon injury associated with total knee arthroplasty. Tech Knee Surg 2011; 10(3):154-8
- Ng VY, Arnott L, McShane M. Periprosthetic femoral condyle fracture after total knee arthroplasty and saline-coupled bipolar sealing technology. Orthopedics 2011; 34(1)
- Ng VY, McShane MA. Understanding acetabular cup orientation: the importance of convention and defining the safe zone. Accepted to Hip International
- Ng VY, Arnott L, McShane MA. Response to Drs Scuderi and Tria, in Letters to the Editor. Periprosthetic femoral condyle fracture after total knee arthroplasty and saline-coupled bipolar sealing technology. Orthopedics 2011; 34(8):572
- Ng VY, McShane MA. Patient-specific knee instrumentation. eMedicine. Available at http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1995729-overview Updated Aug 5, 2011
- Ng VY, McShane MA. Surgical technique for Patient-Specific Instrumentation. Improving Accuracy in Knee Arthroplasty Editor: Emmanuel Thienpont. Submitted to editor.
- Ng VY, Arnott L, Reader D, McShane M. Clinical outcomes and computed tomography assessment of total knee arthroplasty postoperative accuracy for Zimmer® Patient Specific Instrumentation compared to conventional instrumentation. Industry funded for $100,000 and approved by IRB. In progress.
- Ng VY, McShane MA. Repair of intra-operative and acute postoperative patellar tendon injury associated with total knee arthroplasty. 2011. http://www.vumedi.com/node/150145
- Ng VY, Lustenberger D, Arnott L, McShane MA, Unverferth LJ, Wolfe JS. Radiographic coronal alignment of TKA: a comparison study of custom vs conventional instrumentation. IRB exemption granted. In progress.
- 2013 AOA Program