Turkey Carving Tips
An estimated 88% of Americans enjoy turkey on Thanksgiving. Since carving a turkey is an activity most people only participate in during the holidays, hand injuries are not uncommon. While many of these hand injuries are minor and are treatable at home, some can be severe enough to require medical attention.
Follow these tips from the American Society for Surgery of the Hand to help keep your hands healthy this holiday season!
WHEN TO SEEK MEDICAL HELP
If you accidentally cut yourself, visit the emergency room if:
- The bleeding does not stop after 15 minutes, despite putting continuous pressure on the cut
- You have not received a tetanus booster in the last ten years or are unsure of your tetanus immunization status
- You are unable to clean the cut with water and mild soap
If you accidentally cut yourself, visit a hand surgeon within a few days if:
- You experience numbness or tingling in the fingertips
- You struggle to move or bend your fingers
The hand and wrist team at Orthopedic ONE is comprised not only of highly trained and skilled surgeons, but also a team including some of the regions’ top occupational and hand therapists. That along with advanced technology and equipment enables Orthopedic ONE to provide world class care for conditions of the hand and wrist from conservative care to complex surgical interventions. Click here for a complete list of Orthopedic ONE hand specialists!