Although this may sound like something from bygone days, it is a very painful⎯and common⎯condition. Bursitis refers to the inflammation of the fluid-filled sac located between the bone and soft tissue. Keep reading to learn more.
Causes & Triggers
- Hard blow to tip of elbow
- Infection of bursa caused by bite, scrape or wound
- Repetitive and prolonged motion or pressure
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Long periods of pressure on joint—leaning on elbows, sitting or kneeling on hard surfaces
Signs & Symptoms
- Pain (especially when applying pressure)
- Redness and warmth (may indicate infection)
- Restricted movement
Tips & Treatments
- Non-surgical treatment of symptoms may include rest, anti-inflammatory medication, icing the affected area, physical therapy and/or corticosterioid injections.