Fibromyalgia Syndrome – FMS
Memory problems. Sleep disturbances. Mood changes. These are just a few of the more common symptoms of fibromyalgia, a chronic disorder that causes debilitating muscle pain and fatigue. Read on to learn more about how this condition is managed.
Causes & Triggers
- Contributing factors may include:
- Anomalies in immune, endocrine or nervous systems
- Rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune diseases
- Trauma (physical or emotional)
Signs & Symptoms
- Poor sleep
- Reduced physical endurance
- Tenderness (especially trigger points)
- Trouble with concentration and memory
Tips & Treatments
- Fibromyalgia symptoms manifest themselves differently in different people.
- Women between the ages of 20 and 60 are at increased risk.
- Symptoms may be relieved with lifestyle changes, such as reducing stress and increasing exercise.
- Certain medications, including antidepressants and pain relievers, may offer symptom relief.
- While there is no cure, it is possible to successfully manage this condition under the guidance of a physician-directed treatment plan.