Hip Labral Tear
Like many other hip conditions, the prevalent symptom of this condition is pain. This time, though, the pain results from a tear in the deep cartilage of the hip socket rim known as the labral cartilage. Find out what causes it and how it’s treated.
Causes & Triggers
- Anatomical abnormality
- Injury (especially sports related)
- Sudden twisting motion
- Trauma (especially motor vehicle accident)
Signs & Symptoms
- Limited range of motion
- Pain (especially hip, pelvis, back)
Tips & Treatments
- This condition is more common in athletes, especially those with repetitive hip rotation, such as hockey, soccer, football and golf.
- Non-surgical treatments may include activity modification, anti-inflammatory medications, corticosteroid injections and physical therapy.
- Surgical repair or removal may be an option, depending on the nature and severity of the tear.