High Arch – Cavus Foot
A high arch causes uneven body weight distribution, placing all of the body’s on only the ball and heel of the foot. Find out what causes high arch and how to relieve the pain.
Causes & Triggers
- Congenital abnormality
- Neurological (brain & spinal) disorders:
- Cerebral palsy (CP)
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease
- Muscular dystrophy (MD)
- Spina bifida
Signs & Symptoms
- Calluses, especially on heel, side or ball of foot
- Drop foot
- Hammer toes or claw foot
- Heel tilted inward
- High foot arch noticeable when standing
Tips & Treatments
- Supportive braces can provide stability to both the foot and ankle.
- Custom orthotic shoe inserts and/or high-top or special, wide-bottom shoes may provide support, stability and cushioning.
- Surgery may be required to relieve pain and improve stability.