Osteophyte. This is the medical term for an elbow spur, a bony projection that forms where bone meets bone. Elbow spurs are simply the body’s way of repairing worn-out joint cushioning (cartilage). Keep reading to learn more about how this condition and how it’s treated.
Causes & Triggers
- Repetitive overhead motion (occupational- or sports-related)
Signs & Symptoms
- Usually none; spurs may only be noticed on an X-ray
- Limited range of motion or loss of movement
Tips & Treatments
- Treatment may include rest, anti-inflammatory medication and physical therapy.
- Sometimes arthroscopic surgery is needed to further relieve symptoms.