Dr. Wroble graduated with a Bachelor of Science in chemistry from Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, where he also played varsity football. He has a master’s degree in organic chemistry from the University of Colorado at Boulder.
Previously, Dr. Wroble has served as team orthopedic surgeon for the Columbus Blue Jackets, the two-time American Basketball League Champions Columbus Quest, the Columbus Xoggz (U.S. International Soccer League), and the Columbus Chill.
Dr. Wroble has received numerous accolades for his work and dedication to high school, collegiate, and professional sports, including the 2013 Greg Brooks Award. Dr. Wroble was also named 2013 “Top Doc” in sports medicine by U.S. News and World Report and has been included in the America’s Top Doctors® list published by Columbus Monthly, consistently since 2015. He most recently received this distinction in 2021.
Dr. Wroble specializes in knee and shoulder problems with a special emphasis on sports injuries. He commonly performs:
- Knee Arthroscopy
- ACL reconstruction
- Complex knee reconstruction
- Shoulder surgery including rotator cuff, labrum, and shoulder dislocations
Additionally, Dr. Wroble offers advanced options such as partial knee replacement surgery.
Dr. Randall R. Wroble is well known for his dedication to the sports medicine community in central Ohio and beyond. When asked to describe his time specifically with Grove City High School, he says “When I moved to Columbus in 1992, I wanted to work with high school teams. It turned out that my partner went to school with Grove City’s head football coach and since Grove city had no doctor, they invited me to take the job. That year, I stood on the sidelines with a very young athletic trainer, Larry Sutton, and immediately developed a strong professional bond and close friendship with him.
At the same time, the coaches, administrators, athletes, and parents of Grove City all made me feel at home from the first day. We’ve been together now for 22 years–on cold rainy nights and in hot crowded gyms. I have thoroughly enjoyed helping athletes through their injuries, both minor and major. It’s been such a rewarding part of my life to be a member of the Grove City family.
I am constantly reminded of what Winston Churchill said “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”
Dr. Wroble currently serves as chairman of the Sports Medicine Advisory Committee of the Ohio High School Athletic Association. He is also a co-founder of OhioHealth Sports Medicine and currently serves on the Board.
Dr. Wroble serves as a Team Physician to the following collegiate and high school programs:
- Ohio University Wrestling
- Otterbein University Wrestling
- Grove City High School
- Hilliard Darby High School
- Hilliard Davidson High School
To view Dr. Wroble’s presentation from the 2019 Orthopedic ONE Sports Medicine Symposium, click here.
To view videos about the Mako Robotic-Arm Assisted procedures Dr. Wroble performs, click the Patient Education tab.
View a testimonial from a recent patient of Dr. Wroble:
Commonly Treated Conditions
- Hamstring Muscle Strain
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injury
- Degenerative Joint Disease of the Knee/ Osteoarthritis
- Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Injury
- Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Injury
- Labral Tear of the Shoulder
- Rotator Cuff Injuries
Commonly Performed Procedures
Medical School:University of Illinois
Orthopedic Residency:University of Iowa
Fellowship:Cincinnati Sports Medicine, University of Cincinnati-Noyes-Giannestras Biomechanics Lab
Board Certification:American Board of Orthopedic Surgery, Subspecialty in Orthopedic Sports Medicine
Titles, Honors & Awards
TitlesCo-Founder, OhioHealth Sports Medicine and currently serves on the board
- Team Physician, Ohio University Wrestling, Otterbein University Wrestling, Grove City, Hilliard Darby, Olentangy, and Hilliard Davidson High School
AwardsOhio Wrestling Officials Hall of Fame
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors 2015-2017, 2020-2022
- Columbus CEO Practitioner of the Year 2019
- Greg Brooks Award 2013
- "Top Doc" Award in Sports Medicine by U.S. News and World Report 2013
- OSMA Outstanding Team Physician 2013
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- Columbus Medical Association (CMA)
- Ohio Orthopedic Society (OOS)
- Ohio State Medical Association (OSMA)
- Chairman, Sports Medicine Advisory Committee for the Ohio High School Athletic Association
Research & Teaching
ResearchOhioHealth Capital City Sports Medicine Symposium
- Orthopedic ONE’s Sports Medicine Symposium
- Reviewer for the American Journal of Sports Medicine, Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy